Meet the amazing team at KCIU head office
- Hope OkenyExecutive DirectorHope Okeny left England in 1997 and visited Gulu, what she witnessed and heard changed her course of career to this date. It was while listening to the story of a former child soldier that she knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that her life would never be the same. Hope completed her Bachelors degree in Business Studies from the University of East London before she pursued a Masters in Business Administration from Uganda Martyrs University, Nkozi and Masters in Public Health from the International Health Sciences University. In her free time, she enjoys playing games, reading the newspaper, singing, and being with her family.
- Jane WaigoHead Finance & AdministrationJane joined KCIU as Volunteer Partnership Officer in October 2013. She graduated from University of Malta with a degree in Business Management. She oversees KCIU’s online presence and manages the communication team as well as office management. Prior to signing in with KCIU, Jane worked with UNICEF till her retirement. She enjoys the warm atmosphere and collaboration at the office in Kampala and enjoys spending time with her grandchildren on the weekends. As KCIU's head finance, she puts her analytical mind to work, deriving insights that enable KCIU's long-term health and financial stability.
- Mugisha LeonardFundraising OfficerLeonard joined us in 2016 and he brought with him a wealth of global crowd funding and grant seeking techniques. As a lifelong problem solver, he is passionate about ensuring that every webpage, every brochure, every advertisement – basically, every single thing – captures the unique spirit of the Karin brand. Before joining KCIU, Leonard worked as a Banking Officer at Exim Bank (U) Ltd where he spent most of his tenure in the Operations Department. In his free time Leonard enjoys playing Chess, reading books and watching movies.
- Athieno MariaAccounting OfficerMaria is an accounting finance professional with over 10 years of relevant experience in finance and management accounting. Before joining KCIU in 2018, she worked in Uganda’s premier investment bank learning through several major capital market issues of bonds, notes and equity focusing on assuring quantitative and accounting diligence of transactions and issues.
- Kiconco DerrickMonitoring & Evaluation OfficerDerrick comes from a research background in quality assurance where he developed an interest in M&E. He holds a BSc in Statistics has two years' experience as an M&E Officer. Derrick contributes to the coordination and implementation of KCIU's M&E projects, including evaluation design, project planning, data collection, data management, analysis and report writing.
- Kamugasha FrancisVolunteer Accounts AssistantFrancis joined KCIU in 2018 as a volunteering accountant. He recently graduated with a bachelors Degree in Business administration. Francis is very passionate about accounts and is a very quick learner. His quick grasp of quick books has contributed greatly to the finance team.